Friday 25 May 2007

Send the Bus???

This originates from an exercise in writing a Psalm in church, except the Psalm writing led me to have an idea that was not really a Psalm at all. With apologies to General Booth.

Lord, Send the Bus.

I'm hungry and I'm cold
I feel like I am growing old
I've been waiting here so long
I started to write this song

Lord, send the bus, send the bus, send the bus

Lord, I am still waiting here
And it feels like a passing year
The battle needs to be won

It's time for me to move on
Lord, send the bus, send the bus, send the bus


I'm tired of all this waiting

The transport procrastinating
The world seems to be passing me by
It makes me want to cry

Lord, send the bus, send the bus, send the bus

I have been waiting here so long
Perhaps my method has been wrong

It's time to stop the talking

I'd be better to set off walking
Lord, send me, send me, send me.


We live lives waiting for God to do something, for God to send some magical transport to get us from where we are to where we feel we ought to be or where we are called to be. So we wait at the heavenly bus stop doing nothing but waiting. But God wants us to stop behaving like passengers and start using the transport he has given us and start acting like followers.

No comments: